Oh, how I wish I’d had Speaker to Speaker: The Essential Speaker’s Companion when I launched my speaking career twenty-odd years ago. All the mistakes I made, all the situations I faced, all the materials I needed are covered thoroughly in this book. Kathy has such a pleasant tone and engaging way of writing that I thoroughly enjoyed reading her tips.
After first encouraging speakers to cover themselves and their businesses in prayer, Kathy gets down to the nitty-gritty of the speaking business and craft. Kathy covers everything from setting up your business to learning the speaking craft; from figuring out your market niche to smoothing out your rough edges; from lining up your resources to understanding and using social networks. All of these areas are covered in detail with lots of resources listed as well.
Perhaps my favorite part of the book was Kathy’s paraphrase of Matthew 6:19-33 for communicators. My favorite verses are:
19. Don’t desire the treasures of this earth, such as selfish success and advancement at any cost. The results from this are temporary at best, and can easily be lost.
22. When you are plugged in to God, you have light. When your motives reflect His light, you reflect His glow …
24. No communicator can serve two masters …You cannot serve both God and money.
27. Can all your worries about speaking and writing add a single breath to your life?
33. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need …
This book is mandatory for anyone who speaks or hopes to speak! Five stars plus! You will not be disappointed with Kathy Carlton Willis’ Speaker to Speaker: The essential speaker’s companion.
Kathy is a writer, speaker, and platform coach. “… writes and speaks with a balance of funny and faith—whimsy and wisdom.” Previously a copyeditor and writer for several newspapers, she’s now a contributing writer for CBN.com among others.
Kathy graduated with honors from Bible College with degrees in Bible and Church Education. She and her husband, Russ, are in fulltime church ministry while she still finds time to work with her communications firm.
“Kathy shines, whether she’s shining the light on God’s writers and speakers, or reflecting God’s light during her speaking events.” To learn more about Kathy, go to kathycarltonwillis.com.